Sunday, January 30, 2005

a foodie's song

eggplant
michael franks;
joe sample on keyboards and larry carlton on electric guitar

whenever I explore the land of yin
i always take one on the chin
and now this lioness has almost made me tame
I can't pronounce her name but eggplant is her game

the lady sticks to me like white on rice
she never cooks the same way twice-
maybe it's the mushrooms
maybe the tomatoes
i can't reveal her name but eggplant is her game

when my baby cooks her eggplant,
she don't read no book.
she's got a Gioconda kinda of dirty look

And my baby cooks her eggplant,
about 19 different ways
but sometimes I just have it raw
with mayonnaise

maybe its the way she grates her cheese,
or just the freckles on her knees
maybe it's the scallions
maybe she's Italian
i can't reveal her name but eggplant is her game.

the art of tea, 1975