Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Antidotes

Is it too pink? I need some cheering up.
I need to put on my rose-colored glasses even...am feeling crestfallen, depressed, dejected. At least the sun is shining today. *buntonghininga*
Yesterday while shopping for just one more present for his Ate(big sister), #2 son and I decided to check out a newfangled type of mall that is in vogue in California. It looks like a gigantic strip mall with the huge open parking lot in the middle. It is located in the "gold coast" of the Massachusetts South Shore, near towns where our few celebrities live (Steve Tyler of AeroSmith, Marc Brown of "Arthur" fame, Jan Brett the famous children's book writer/illustrator), Chris Cooper (SeaBiscuit,American Beauty, and Adaptation) and where I guess a sprinkling of m/billionaires hide out...
I found this at Whole Foods Market.
Now, I have only heard of this place from other foodiebloggers so when I learned they opened 2 towns away, I just had to check it out.
I got severe sticker shock. It was nicely laid out: beautifully arranged produce, Old World feel of a butcher here, fish market there...but. I. cannot. bear. to. buy.
We're no billionaires, for one. I also know where to buy most of those items somewhere else for a lot less $$. "Yankee" frugality, contagious from husband, prevails.
Nevertheless, it was wonderful to look at such beauty...especially this.

It was like looking at Michelangelo's "David" in Florence for the first time...I know, I'm O.A.(overacting) but look... The chocolate counter at Whole Foods Market.


Anchovies in olive oil, from Spain.

It was a splurge, but I just had to try.
So today, comfort food after all the cooking, washing up, and hovering near the tv for election results*sob*, we had sinangag (garlic fried rice,) tuyo and what tastes like paksiw na talimusak(vinegar-stewed tiny fish) from my Ma.